Application for a student visa
To apply for long-term study, you’ll need to prepare the documents listed below and send them to us by the deadline. You can find all the necessary forms and instructions on how to fill them out on our forms page.
An applicant must be ones who have completed 12 years of schooling recognized as standard in his or her own country, or alternatively who have been judged by the appropriate faculty as possessing an equivalent scholastic ability in his or her own country. In the case of SWEDISH, See the Swedish page for details.
<< Examples for Filling Out Various Forms >>
For students living in OECD countries (i.e. America, Canada, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea and most European countries), these are the only required documents. And submissions may either be mailed or sent as an attachment to an e-mail (If you are over 30 years old, you will need other documents). However, the Japanese government has imposed additional requirements for students from non-OECD Verb Practice countries. Students applying from these countries must typically submit documents verifying the status of their sponsor, typically a parent, during their time in Japan. Beyond this, their are additional requirements that vary depending by country. These requirements often make it very difficult for students from non-OECD countries to study in Japan. If you’re not sure whether these requirements affect you or not, please contact us directly.
Once you send in your application with all the needed documentation and application fee, we submit a request to the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau for a document called a Certificate of Eligibility(COE). If the request is approved, the Immigration Bureau notifies us and we pass the word on to you. At that point, you are required to pay two terms worth of tuition and other fees (see the fees page for more details). After that is received, we send you the certificate of Eligibility(COE) which you use to apply for a student visa at your local embassy or consulate.
- You submit your application to Yoshida
- We review your application and request a Certificate of Eligibility from the Immigration Bureau
- Immigration Bureau examines your documents, approves the request and sends us the certificate
- We notify you that the certificate is ready
- You pay for two terms of tuition and other fees
- We send you the a Certificate of Eligibility and some documents
- You submit COE at your local Japanese embassy or consulate
- You receive your student visa and head to Japan! Upon arrival you’ll receive one year student visa (or one year three months) which can be extended another one year during your stay in Japan.