Application for a student visa

To apply for long-term study, you’ll need to prepare the documents listed below and send them to us by the deadline. You can find all the necessary forms and instructions on how to fill them out on our forms page.
An applicant must be ones who have completed 12 years of schooling recognized as standard in his or her own country, or alternatively who have been judged by the appropriate faculty as possessing an equivalent scholastic ability in his or her own country. In the case of SWEDISH, See the Swedish page for details.

Applicant (Application Requirements)
Application form Use the prescribed form. Form(PDF)|Form(MS word)
Personal Records Use the prescribed form to list your (a) educational history, from elementary school through the last school attended and (b) the purpose of your study. | Use the prescribed form. Form(PDF)|Form(MS word)
Diploma OECD countries : The diploma (or transcript) from the last school you attended. It must be the scanned. Do not need to send the original.
Other countries : The diploma (and transcript) from the last school you attended. This must be the original, and it will be returned after the application process is completed.
Photographs You need to submit photos as specified below when submit an application that involves issue of a student visa.
1. Three identical passport-style, 4cm x 3cm photographs, taken in the last three months.
2. One should be attached to the application form and on the back of the other two the applicant’s name should be written.
3. Must be clear.
Copy of passport If you already have one. It must include all the pages which show applicant’s photo, passport number, and past visit (s) to Japan.
Reference letter A copy of your student ID or leave of absence certificate.(if currently a student).
Supporter (Father, Mother, Brother, applicant)
Oath for Payment Method of support to meet the expenses while in Japan. Self or Remittance from outside Japan. If you have your supporter, please use the prescribed form. Form(PDF)|Form(MS word)
Certificate of deposit Balance It must be the original form of bank, and must show the account number. The amount of deposit balance must be more than 10,000 (USD).
Others Documents to be sumitted upon request.

<<  Examples for Filling Out Various Forms  >>

For students living in OECD countries (i.e. America, Canada, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea and most European countries), these are the only required documents. And submissions may either be mailed or sent as an attachment to an e-mail (If you are over 30 years old, you will need other documents). However, the Japanese government has imposed additional requirements for students from non-OECD Verb Practice countries. Students applying from these countries must typically submit documents verifying the status of their sponsor, typically a parent, during their time in Japan. Beyond this, their are additional requirements that vary depending by country. These requirements often make it very difficult for students from non-OECD countries to study in Japan. If you’re not sure whether these requirements affect you or not, please contact us directly.

Visa Process

Once you send in your application with all the needed documentation and application fee, we submit a request to the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau for a document called a Certificate of Eligibility(COE). If the request is approved, the Immigration Bureau notifies us and we pass the word on to you. At that point, you are required to pay two terms worth of tuition and other fees (see the fees page for more details). After that is received, we send you the certificate of Eligibility(COE) which you use to apply for a student visa at your local embassy or consulate.

    1. You submit your application to Yoshida

    1. We review your application and request a Certificate of Eligibility from the Immigration Bureau

    1. Immigration Bureau examines your documents, approves the request and sends us the certificate

    1. We notify you that the certificate is ready

    1. You pay for two terms of tuition and other fees

    1. We send you the a Certificate of Eligibility and some documents

    1. You submit COE at your local Japanese embassy or consulate

    1. You receive your student visa and head to Japan!  Upon arrival you’ll receive one year student visa (or one year three months) which can be extended another one year during your stay in Japan.


Please be sure to read it
The current situation. (COVID-19)

We warmly welcome

No applications will be accepted for the October term as we have reached capacity.
January 2024 course consultation will be available.
Application Schedule
To Contact
Exemption or Reduction
of Admission fees.

Learning Japanese

Learn how to read and write the kana on our HIRAGANA and KATAKANA pages. Please check out our website: Learning Japanese.



CSN is the national authority that handle the Swedish financial aid for students.

We also warmly welcome Working Holiday program participants in Japan!

it is possible to study at this institute while visiting Japan on a 3-month temporary visa.

Students studying for longer periods usually obtain a student visa.

Promotional Video

–New– – | English | Spanish | Italian | German | Swedish | Indonesian |Vietnamese | Promotional videos were created by students.