Getting Here

1. From Narita Airport, take the Airport Limousine Bus to Ikebukuro.
We will meet you at Hotel Metropolitan (Ikebukuro). Please ask us for pick up details if you are arriving in Ikebukuro. (Free)
Limousine bus has bus services from Narita Airport to Ikebukuro 19 times per day.

2. We will meet you at the airport. One of our representatives will greet you at Narita Airport to our school by car or train. (Pick up for 6,000 yen per person)

3. From Narita Airport, take the Skyliner to Nippori and change to the JR Yamanote line.
Trains stop in Otsuka (four stop) and change to the Toden Arakawa line. Please go down at terminal Waseda Station. There is our school in front of Waseda Station.


While Tokyo has a reputation as being an expensive place to live, there are actually quite a large number of possibilities open for foreigners coming to study in Japan. A large percentage of Japanese university students study in the Tokyo area so there's a wide Shrutee and Tomo variety of student housing available, from dormitories to private apartments. While Yoshida does not provide any sort of housing for students, we can definitely help you with your housing search.

When you arrive in Japan, there are a number of hotels and inns that are a short commute away from the school, especially near big train stations such as Ikebukuro, Shinjuku and Ueno. Several are listed on our housing options page.

For short stays in Japan, a guest house is often the easiest option. Students live together with other foreigners and Japanese. The monthly rent includes the use of a furnished room, a shared kitchen and often all utilities also. Some are quite large with up to fifty people living in one building but others are small with only five or six people living together. When you arrive you can investigate the possibilities and see what works best for you.

The new residency management system

Immigration examination : At Narita and Haneda Airports, besides having a seal of landing verification stamped in your passports, mid- to long-term residents will be issued a residence card (zairyuu-card).
With the new residency management system, permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the resident status may be given at airports.
A residence card(zairyuu-card) will be issued at Narita and Haneda Airports when the new system is enforced in July 9th, 2012.

Students in possession of a valid passport and residence card who will be re-entering Japan within two months of their departure to continue their activities in Japan will, in principle, not be required to apply for a re-entry permit.
The immigration office will not justify your absence for two months or more. (if you are students) Be sure to contact us if you are going to absent for three days or more from the class. In the worst case we will have to dismiss you. zairyucard

Procedure at municipal office

After finding housing, students who come to Japan on a student visa will need to register at the local civic center within 14 days after arrival in Japan. You will need to bring your residence card. Once you've received a residence card (zairyuu-card), which can be used as a means of identification in lieu of your passport.  :  Application form(PDF-30.2kb)

Part-time Work

Permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the resident status may be given at some airports. :  Application form(PDF-23.5kb)
zairyucard Wish the new residency management system, permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the resident status may be given at Narita and Haneda Airports (where residence cards are issued), to persons to whom all the following apply.
Those who are granted "Student" status and to whom a residence card (zairyuu-card) is issued.

With a student visa you are permitted to work up to 28 hours a week at a paid position, after obtaining permission from the Immigration department. Permission is usually granted once you have a command of basic Japanese. As the economy in lukewarm in Japan currently, finding a job will typically require a certain amount of effort on the part of the student. Many students work in restaurants and shops and this often requires a mastery of basic Japanese, so beginning students may not be able to find work until their command of daily Japanese has improved. However, students often find that jobs help their Japanese as they use it in everyday work situations and not just in the classroom. English speakers frequently find work teaching English. When you arrive at Yoshida, we'll be happy to talk more with you about the procedures for getting approval to work and any job possibilities we're aware of at the time.

How to open an account at bank

If you have your own account at bank, you utility expenses and telephone bills could be drawn automatically from your bank account. At the same time, money such as part-time job salary, could also be paid into your account automatically and living expenses and school expenses could be received easily from your parents if you have an account.

Necessary documents for opening an account
  1. your residence card.
  2. you should write your name in katakana.
  3. Please decide personal identification number with 4 digits.(before going to bank.)
  4. Cash card will be sent to you later by post.
  5. Seal (Inkan) is required to open a bank account with Japan Postal bank, banks.)
    You can make your personal Inkan at Toyodo (Please refer to a lower figure.) A seal on which your name in hiragana or katakana has been engraved is OK. It costs from 1200 yen to 1500 yen. 2 or 3days to get your seal.
SHINSEI BANK-Ikebukuro branch

We mainly provide services in Japanese at the branches. There are some branches with English speaking staffs, but not always available. Please visit our branch with someone who can understand Japanese if you have concerns about communication.

  1. You must be a resident of Japan with a contact phone number to confirm the details of your account application form. "Period of Stay" on the Residence card is at least 1 year.
  2. Residence Card (Check if the address on the card is your current address.)
  3. your seal is not required.
  4. To open an account.
  5. More Information : Ikebukuru Branch.

Smart Phone(Mobile phome)

There are several mobile company in Tokyo. To buy a smart phone and begin a new smart phone service subscription, you must have a bank account in Japan. In general, you are required to present your bankbook, residence card, passport, and a statement of parental approval (for those below age 20).
For details, consult the websites of the respective service providers.

  1. au(KDD) : au(KDD)
  2. SoftBank : Softbank / Shops with English-speaking staff
  3. DOCOMO : docome / by phone( in English, Portuguese, Chinese, and Spanish)