As we offer classes at all levels, the only real requirement for classes at Yoshida is the equivalent of a high-school degree and the motivation to study in an academically rigorous environment. The school year is broken into four, three-month terms, each with 50 days of classes (see the school calendar for a more detailed schedule):

School Terms
Term Classes Start
Winter 2017 January 10, 2017
Spring 2017 April 06, 2017
Summer 2017 July 05, 2017
Fall 2017 October 10, 2017

For the most part, the admissions process depends upon what type of visa you will use to come to Japan. A normal tourist visa is sufficient to study for a single term but to study for a longer time, students typically obtain a student visa. If you apply for the April short course and the July long term course at the same time, it is possible to change to a Student visa without leaving the country. Please contact us for more details.

Long-term study (2 or more terms)

Hon and Mihe Students studying for longer periods usually obtain a student visa (Ryuugaku visa in Japanese). The procedure is somewhat time consuming so students need to apply well in advance of the date they hope to start classes. Students cannot obtain these visas on their own, they must first apply to Yoshida to begin the process. We will guide you through the process to try and make it as simple as possible.

You can study for up to two years on a student visa and during that time you can work at a part-time job for up to 28 hours a week. Many students use these jobs to help offset the cost of living in Japan. Students are also allowed to travel in and out of the country freely without having to reapply for a visa each time. A student visa can be extended for up to two years, assuming proper attendance is maintained.

Application Deadlines(a student visa)
Term Beginning Application Period Results of Selection
April 2017 admissions closed Feb. 23, 2017
July 2017 Jan. 04 to Mar. 03, 2017 May 25, 2017
October 2017 Mar. 01 to May 26 2017 Aug. 24, 2017
January 2018 July 01 to Sept. 07 2017 Nov. 09, 2017
April 2018 Aug. 21 to Nov. 17 2017 Feb. 22, 2018

If you wish to studying and to acquire a Student visa at this institute, the deadline to apply for the July term is March 03, 2017.    But deadline is subject to change without announcement depending on the number of applicants. Please contact us for more details.

Target (student visa)

Entrance requirements : An applicant must be ones who have completed 12 years of schooling recognized as standard in their own countries or alternatively ones who have been judged by appropriate faclty as possessing as equivalent scholastic attainment in their own countries.
The lessons are taught entirely in Japanese and also since the textbook is written in hiragana and katakana, it is strongly recommended that you familiarize yourself with hiragana and katakana before the first lesson.
Feel free to use these hiragana and katakana study aids to help you get started.

College Preparatory Course: Students who want to learn Japanese to study further at a university or technical college. The Japanese education sytem is different other countries. A school year begins in April and ends in March of the following year.
The attendance at school period is as follows.

          College Preparatory Course
January term one year and three months
April term one year or two years
July term one year and nine months
October term one year and six months

General Course: We make every effort to provide our students with what they need most for their study, along with any assistance they may need to live in Japan. Some people want to learn Japanese for the future, while other students study primarily for business purposes.
The attendance at school period is as follows.

           General Course
January term six months to two years
April term six months to two years
July term six months to two years
October term six months to two years

Short-term study (1 term)

Nakade-sensei When studying for just one term, citizens of many countries can easily obtain tourist visas for travel to Japan. These are typically three-month visas but this differs depending on your nationality. For example, upon arrival in Japan, Americans are typically given a 90-day visa, most Europeans a three-month visa. Students in other areas may need to apply for a tourist visa before arrival so please contact the Japanese embassy or consulate nearest you to determine the exact requirements for travel to Japan.
See Short-term page for details.

Frequently asked QUESTIONS.

How to read and write the Kanji on our Kanji pages.